Golf is a sport where a single great shot is enough to keep one coming back for more.
My 1st golf lesson was 20 odd years ago but I didn’t play regularly until 10 years later. I was often amazed at the ability of a golfer to recount the details of a hole they had played years earlier – each shot, each club selection, the direction of the wind, the slope and speed of the green. How could they remember each aspect? Now that I play regularly, I understand how that great hole, or that great shot forever stays in the “golf bank”.
Join me on my journey as I reveal interesting facts about golf and the history of various tournaments. Let’s start with the Ryder Cup since I’m watching as I blog. Sam Ryder, who made his fortune as a successful British seed merchant, was the founder of the Ryder Cup. Sam sold penny packets of seed via the mail, and to promote his company, he sponsored a series of golf tournaments. Ryder thought an international match between two major golfing nations would encourage international understanding and also garner more participation in the US Open and British Open.
The tournament, featuring four foursomes on the first day and eight singles on the second, “officially” started in 1927 and was held at the Worcester Country Club in Worcester, MA with the US winning 9-1/2 to 2-/12.
Fun story. My 19 year old nephew loves golf. One day I told him I would buy him a book on all the golf courses in New England. He said it wasn't necessary, he would just look online. Yikes. Are there sources which would rate (or rank) courses?
ReplyDelete